Discourse analysis studies language in use: written texts of all kinds, and spoken data, from conversation to highly institutionalized forms of talk. Discourse Analysis in the 5the semester focuses mainly on written discourse. The course lasts 17 weeks including a midterm and final week. The course consists of 30 practical classes. By the end of the course students will:
• be able to compare written and spoken discourse in English
• be more aware of phonological, lexical, and grammatical features of different types of discourse
• be able to distinguish the main features of different written discourse types
• be more aware of sociolinguistic dimensions in discourse.
- Teacher: RISOLATXON PAYZIYEVA